Our Little Piece of Heaven

"YOU DON'T HAVE A GARDEN JUST FOR YOURSELF. YOU HAVE IT TO SHARE." Augusta Carter







Saturday, March 24, 2012

RADISHES (Raphanus sativus) 'Cherry Belle'


I love planting one of vegetable gardening's quickest selections, Radishes. 

I planted 'Cherry Belle' Radishes on 03/11/12.  I planted them in the small raised bed my husband just made for me.  Germination took only 4 days!



This picture of tiny seedlings was taken on 03/15/12. 








I took this picture today, 03/24/12.  Wow look how well they are coming along. 

This particular radish is ready in just 22 days!

Radishes are a great plant if you want to feel the thrill of victory in planting from seed in a very short period of time!  They also grow very well in any kind of container. 

They are also considered a garden hero because they will draw aphids and flea beetles from peppers; protect cucumbers, squash, and melons from cucumber beetles; and rout two-spotted spider mites from tomoato plants.  They can be planted amongst the above plants to stand guard duty!

What a versatile plant.  I would love to hear of any other great stories about radishes, ideas for planting, or great tips for growing these awesome veggies!

Happy Spring!
Mindy

8 comments:

  1. Mindy I love radishes too and planted them early. I covered mine so I have not been out to look yet and the weather is turning to a hard freeze so hopefully the row covers will keep them warm. I did not know they drew bugs from other plants. I do know they can be left to go to seed and then they will grow in abundance in fall. My growing season is short so I don't plant them again until late summer with mixed results which is why I will let some go to seed. I also know they don't like to be planted with Brussel sprouts or cabbages...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I didn't knwo they could be left to go to seed and grow in abundance in the fall! I also didn't know that they don't like to be planted with Brussel Sprouts or cabbages! Very interesting!
      Thanks so much for sharing more information!
      Happy Gardening!
      Mindy

      Delete
  2. My grandma had a dog who loved radishes. The dog would run to the fridge and begin to wiggle and bark as soon as she opened the door. I'm not a big radish fan although I think they're cute! I love how fast they grow. :o) Thanks for your kind comment on my post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a cute story! I can't imagine a dog loving radishes, I bet she didn't let him to close to her garden!! Happy Gardening! Mindy

      Delete
  3. Tiffany @ No Ordinary HomesteadMarch 26, 2012 at 4:14 AM

    Radishes are such fun to plant and eat. I see now this is something about radish I was not aware of. I will have more rows of it soon ;). Thanks for sharing! I actually host a weekly gardening link up every Friday on my blog. I'd love for you to drop by and join in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely check your site out, along with your weekly gardening link up! Thanks for checking my blog out, I look forward to visiting yours!

      Happy Gardening!
      Mindy

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for stopping in today! It is always a pleasure to find a new gardener. I have enjoyed reading your blog so fare and look forward to reading more as time goes on. I look forward to future posts by you and learning from you! Happy Gardening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy visiting other gardeners' blogs so much! I have learned such an abundance of information! I do look foward to following your blog in the future as well. Happy Gardening!
      Mindy

      Delete